Monday, October 12, 2009

A past life.


In my previous life (a life where I was known as Susanne, not as Mummy) I spent a great deal of time looking at, reading about, and studying art. I was interested in most forms of art, but modern art soon became a firm favourite. In particular, Edward Hopper's work stood out for me as something special, so much so that I wrote my Masters' dissertation on it.


Due to that I immersed myself in his work, reading as much as I could and studying picture after picture, over and over again. The one thing I felt I was lacking though was seeing his work with my own eyes, I felt that my writing would be less informed because of it. Nevertheless I finished the study and did reasonably well, but I still felt the need to see his work.


Soon after my graduation my husband and I were married and off on our honeymoon, first stop New York. My poor husband got dragged around gallery after gallery so I could absorb as much as I could. I managed to see some brilliant works of art that I had thought I'd never be lucky enough to lay my eyes on, and discovered more that just jumped off the canvas, works that had done nothing for me when I had seen them in books.

As I stood in awe of the many Edward Hopper's works we managed to find, Rob snapped these pictures of me so I could always remember that I had seen the real deal, so I could prove to myself that I had actually seen them. Even though they're not the best pictures of me, I'm so glad to have them.

Works in order of appearance:
The Lighthouse at Two Lights, 1929, Oil on canvas, 74.9 x 109.9cm, New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Hugo Kastor Fund, 1962.

House by the Railroad, 1925, Oil on canvas, 60.7 x 73.7cm, New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Given Anonymously.

Tables for Ladies, 1930, Oil on canvas, 122.5 x 153cm, New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, George A. Hearn Fund, 1931.

2 comments:

Bells said...

that must have been a truly amazing trip for you. I know what it's like to stand in front of something that means so very much, something you've longed to see and have studied so much. It's a powerful moment and it's so great you have photos to prove it!

Snooze said...

I know exactly what you mean. During the 1980s I saw the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, and this time around I saw so many canvases I've seen in the books I read. There's absolutely nothing like seeing them in the flesh.

Love your post ... it really struck a cord with me.